A weekend in Savannah, Georgia
We recently took a weekend road trip to a bucket list USA city - Savannah, GA. This historic and picture perfect place definitely is full southern charm, friendly people and great hospitality.
One of the first things we like to do when in a new city (after finding Coffee), is take one of the organised bus tours. It may sound very tacky and unadventurous but it's a great way to get your bearings, hit up all of the main tourist attractions and tick them off your list. Then you're free to explore a little deeper.
We didn't realise Savannah was a bit of a party town, so if we were here without a baby and not during a global pandemic it would have been a different experience. There were many great bars and restaurants where a good time could have been had!
So if you're not in a partying mood, here are a few other things to do in Savannah.
Oh wait... coffee ( we are Australian after all)
But first... Coffee
- The Collins Quarter (the closest and best Coffee we found that was like home!)
- The Sentient Bean
- The Coffee Fox
- The Blue Door
- Savannah Coffee Roasters
Things to Do
- Hop on, Hop off City Bus Tours. There are a few companies who do this and you will see the buses around town. We went with TrolleyTours.Com
- Day trip to Tybee Island for some beach time
- Ghost Tours. We didn't do one as we were travelling with a toddler but they are very popular in this historical city and so many to choose from and can be on foot or bus, day or night.
- If you're there on the weekend, then the Farmers Markets in Forsyth Park were great
- Just put your walking shoes on and start walking around the beautiful sqaures and streets of Savannah
- Riverboat Cruise on the Savannah River
- Segway City tours looked like fun if you're up for it!
Places to Stay
There are so many gorgeous boutique hotels to stay in Savannah, as well as historical inns and Air BnBs. We stayed on the Riverfront and easily walked into the centre of the city (with a stroller!) Here are a few suggestions.
- The Alida (this is where we stayed. See our review here)
- The Bohemian Hotel Savannah
- Perry Lane Hotel
- The Drayton Hotel
- Hamilton-Turner Inn
- Mansion on Forsyth Park
- Rose all Day Air BnB
Places to Eat & Drink
- Leopold Ice Cream. Unfortunately we never made it here but REALLY wanted too. It appears to be a bit of an institution and looks delicious.
- The Lost Square Rooftop
- St Neo's
- Treylor Park
- The Collins Quarter
- 700 Drayton
- Mrs. Wilkes' Dining Room
- The Olde Pink House